Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Winter Story

At the end, our computer has been fixed and I could quickly finish a winter landscape, copied from a picture taken by my boyfriend some years ago, in the mountains of Lappland. This painting is intended as something in between a sketch and a more detailed work, anyway I didn't want to spend too much time on it.
This time it was not a problem to manage many layers to paint several levels (river, trees, sky, mountains, snow, and so on). I tried many kind of fur brushes in order to get a somehow realistic effect about the trees in the background. I know that there are special tree brushes which can do the same but in a much better way; maybe I'll try to get them in the future.
I realize that is quite convenient to get a palette directly from the photo where the subject is taken from. At the beginning I felt a bit reluctant to use this method (it sounds as cheating), but on the other hand it can be very useful to learn how a good palette should look like when you'll start to paint a similar but not copied image.


4 comments:

Ruthie Redden said...

i admire your digital painting, i wouldn't know where to start. beautiful scene. I would love to go to a venetian carnival!!

Morgaine le Fée said...

thanks ruthie, you're very kind and encouraging! I think that's much easier to paint a copy of something than inventing something completely new. I learn a lot from my boyfriend, i must say :)

orma said...

Molto bello questo paesaggio invernale. Sei davvero molto brava e curata nei particolari, le tracce di neve leggermente mossa in basso a sinistra sono una vera "perla" da artista.

Morgaine le Fée said...

Thanks Orma! :) Ho comunque un sacco di strada da fare...